Thursday, January 19, 2017

Thursday, getting a grip

     I did nothing yesterday of any importance except entertain mother.  I realize I am using her as an excuse to not get anything done.  I can just sit around and sniff ( I do have a cold) and have a little pity party.

     I will make myself do something today.  I will return to this blog and report something that I did that was useful.  It is so easy to feel that I am not accomplishing anything to move forward.  Then I think well what did you do yesterday?

     I took mother to her bank and watched her fumble around for at least 10 minutes trying to find her check book and her wallet.  It was painful and also embarrassing.  I finally went over to help her which she did not appreciate.

     Then I took her to Costco for her medications even though I knew most of them would not be in.  They were not, but she was able to buy one of her precious chickens.  I swear she is addicted to these.  Costco injects those birds with something that makes me ill.  They taste good but within an hour I am in the bathroom.  My whole body ejects this smell of chicken.  So after wasting and hour in Costco we get up to the checkout and she can't find her card.  A big long line of people all impatient are behind us and she is totally oblivious to the fact that she is holding up the line again.  I run back to the pharmacy to see if she left her card there and no, by the time I returned to the checkout she had found her card.  I was in tears.  She just wastes my time.

     Now we get home and I am so frustrated I go take a nap.  She proceeds to debone the chicken and put the carcass on to boil which she then forgets and burns.  I get up to help a bride and to smoky burned chicken.  Took the pot out to the deck.

     Pounded pork steaks thin and flash fried them in breads crumbs, made mashed potatoes and corn also gravy.  Of course mom loved the meal, it was fried and full of starch.

     At about 9:30 I decided to make a pan of cinnamon rolls.  They were done by 11:00.  Stupid I know , but that is what I wanted.  Mom was happy to wake up to fresh rolls.

     Maybe today I can do something useful.  I need my butt kicked.  Pasta for dinner.

Have a great and productive day!

Kim

9 comments:

  1. I am pretty sure a butt kicking is the last thing you need! It sound to me like you get one on a regular basis whenever you deal with your mom. I so know and sympathize with you. Mom (mine) is unhappy about at least one thing every single day. I know part of it is because her life has changed and she can't do what she used to do, but it is tiring and emotionally hard to try and meet her needs. Wishing you the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I vacillate between anger towards her and acute sympathy. Watching her try to do such simple things is pitiful. It would be so much easier if she just let me do them for her.

      Delete
    2. There are days I would gladly let you find my card and my checkbook. It exhausts me! lol...However, don't try to take the wheel from me! I crammed everything back in my purse three times without finding what I wanted today. Since I must carry two epipens, my purse is too small. It is not my brain; it's the purse. I hope this all settles down for you.

      Delete
  2. :) You sound like you had a productive day!!! And I'm sorry. My MIL is the same way.
    My nieces LOVE those chickens and call them Miracle Chickens. I can take them or leave them. But they don't make me sick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love chicken but that chicken does not like me.

      Delete
  3. Wow. You definitely have your hands full with your mother. My SIL is currently taking care of my 89 year old MIL and has similar struggles. I give anyone caring for an elderly parent a lot of credit. It takes a special person to do what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I have never had a chicken from Costco, the rotisserie chickens from Walmart are delicious. I wonder why they make you ill. Look at the label and see if anything strange is put in them. I feel for you with the stress you are experiencing.

    ReplyDelete