Monday, March 18, 2013

Monday, busy week coming

Personal -$398.00
Studio $101.16

CC figured out what I owe and will pay off charged amount plus regular payment.

     It was a lazy weekend.  We did a lot of shopping for groceries and restocking.  No work in the yard.  My hands are just too sore.  The Celtic Show is this weekend and I have so many loose ends to tie up.  Still have a horrible cold.  It just sits in my chest.

     We went to a friends house for dinner yesterday Corn beef and cabbage.  I made a great soda bread that I had never tried before.  Actually it is not soda bread traditionally if it has raisins and fruit in it.  But what do we non Irish know?

This was so easy and made 2 large loaves, that stayed moist unlike other soda breads I have eaten.

5and 1/2 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp grated orange peel
(mix with a wire whisk)

Pulse in 4 Tablespoons butter or cut it into crumbs with whisk on your mixer.

Added hand full of raisins, cherries, cranberries

In a  separate bowl beat 2 large eggs 
Add 4 Tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons water
1 3/4 cups buttermilk  ( I just soured my milk with 1 tablespoon of vinegar and let stand 10 minutes)

Now add to dry mixture, beat until smooth.  If too wet add a little more flour.  Dough will be sticky.

Turn out on flour surface knead 1 minute, split and form 2 round  flat loaves.  Let stand 10 mintues bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.

Honestly this was so easy.  I soured the milked turned on the oven and threw every thing into the kitchenaid while it was beating I mixed up the wet ingredients.  Added them together played with the consistency and baked.  Best quick bread I have ever eaten.

This was cut into wedges and fed 8 adults and 5 children with about 1/2 a loaf left.

I think my adaptations of adding eggs to the recipe  really helped. Made a better consistency and kept the dough from drying out and becoming biscuit like.  Although I love me a biscuit.

    
     I was pretty happy with the shop last week and I will be very busy this week also.  

I just have so much to do, and with this cold I want to sleep.

Have a great and productive day!

Kim

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a pretty easy recipe! I actually noticed that my bread turns better when I used milk soured by vinegar than when I use buttermilk. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry your hands are not doing well. And that you are still sick. Feel better very soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For that cold, I'd recommend Vick's vapor rub. I love the smell but I know many people dont like it, so you should put it over your chest going up to your throat and around your nose if you're congested. It always helped us when we were feeling miserable. Feel better soon. That bread sounds very interesting, especially if it fed that many people! Should've taken a photo to share.

    ReplyDelete